Plenty of colour, tactile fabrics, ‘Hygge’ and natural themes; all have been regularly featured in winter 2016’s repertoire of interior design trends. With such an array of choice, we’ve picked a few of our favourite winter interior design trends that are perfect for a Christmas at home:
- Hygge – Hygge has been a bit of a buzzword since the start of autumn in the interior design arena. More of a feeling than an actual style, Hygge is a Danish concept that encompasses living well and living simply. In interior design terms it’s all about creating an intimate, cosy space with family and friends at the heart of it. Sounds like Christmas to us!
- Knitted textures – Just like your favourite jumper, knitted textures have become a staple for winter interiors. Cable knits are a must, with everything from throws to scatter cushions made from soft angora or ribbed wool in an array of neutral colours.
- Velvet – Velvet has found favour once again, in both the fashion world and the interior design one. Its luxurious, soft feel is perfect for creating a warm and cosy atmosphere in any room.
- Greys – Greys are this year’s neutrals. Whether you opt for lighter, silvery shades, darker more dramatic tones or something more metallic, greys are the go-to for a perfect wintery finish that can be adapted for a modern or traditional look.
- Dark, dramatic colour – Another great trick for creating a more intimate feel is to use deeper, richer tones. Contrary to popular belief, these don’t always make spaces look any smaller but they can make a big impact, as well as creating a warmer feel.